Watch Horror Movies and Burn Those Calories
The study, by The University of Westminster measured how much energy was used up when watching a mixed bag of scary movies. 10 people were used in the study. Their heart rate, oxygen intake and carbon dioxide output were all measured whilst they suffered these frightening experiences. The calories used up increased by a 3rd on average whilst they watched the films. The best movies to watch apparently are those that will make the viewer ‘jump’ with fright as these caused the heart rate to rise dramatically.
Do you want to know the top 10-calorie burning movies, as used in the study? Well, starting at number one at the top of the chart:
1. The Shining. Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 psychological thriller starring Jack Nicolson (my favourite actor of all time). The average viewer consumes up to 184 calories…can you believe that!
2. Jaws. Watching this shark attack movie viewers burnt some 161 calories. There are definitely some ‘make you jump’ moments in this film.
3. The Exorcist. An amazing total of around 158 calories burned when watching this.
4. Alien. Watching Sigourney Weaver will use up to 152 calories. Unbelievable!
5. Saw is next with a whopping 133 calories. A movie that I have yet to see but this gives me a very good reason to scare myself silly.
6. A Nightmare on Elm Street.…VERY scary movie. Watch it if you dare and burn off 118 calories.
7. Paranormal Activity. Very spooky indeed and A grand total of 111 calories can be burnt watching this one.
8. The Blair Witch Project. Love it or hate it, this is a movie worth watching just to use up 105 calories.
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Another movie I have not seen as it looks a little gory to me, but it burns 107 calories
10. Rec. I have not even heard of this movie but I will hunt it out in the hope of using up 101 calories.
So, if you want to eat a chocolate bar without the feeling too bad about it, why not watch a couple of these horrors at the same time. Simple!