uick Facts of Golden Globe History
It is always enjoyable to watch Golden Globe ceremony. I like watching winner’s speeches. And I think it is fun to know facts about Golden Globe history.
1. In 1928 the Hollywood Association of Foreign Correspondents (HAFCO) was formed. In 1935 another similar association was formed. These two associations only stood for a short time, however they had showed their seriousness by inviting Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford and other celebrities in Ball International of Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. The foreign press had done uneasy job because Hollywood had not realized the potential of foreign market.
2. In 1941 in the World War II situation, the society was thirst of entertainment. The filmmakers like Orson Welles, Preston Sturges, Darryl Zanuck and Michael Curtiz worked hard to fulfill the need. During the chaos of war, foreign reporters in Los Angeles were united to share contact, information and substances.
3. In 1943 the reporters, lead by Daily Mail reporters, formed the Hollywood Foreign Correspondents Association with motto unite without religion and race discrimination.
4. As the representatives of foreign press world, this association thought that they have the responsibility to give appreciation to Hollywood production. This could be best recommendation for film audiences.
Cover of Watch on the Rhine
5. In 1944 during informal ceremony in 20th Century Fox, the association honored the award to Jennifer Jones as the Best Actress for her performance in “The Song of Bernadette” and Paul Lukas was crowned as best actor for his appearance in “Watch on the Rhine”. The Song of Bernadette was chosen as the Best Film.
Cover of The Song of Bernadette
6. In 1945 the association member held a contest to determine the award design, which would be the Golden Globe symbol. Marina Cisternas, the president association for 1945-1946 period, proposed the concept of award design, which is used until now.
7. The Hollywood Foreign Correspondents Association celebrated the first social gala in 1945 with dinner party in Beverly Hills Hotel. Film entitled “Going My Way” won the Best Picture, Ingrid Bergman won the Best Actress Award and Alexander Knox won Best Actor Award.
8. In 1950, there were philosophy differences between the members of the organization, then there was separation. They were two groups: The Hollywood Foreign Correspondents Association and the Foreign Press Association of Hollywood.
9. They were only separated for a while, after that the reporters were united again in 1955 as “The Hollywood Foreign Press Association” (HFPA). They prepare the term and condition for membership.
10. In 1951, the association decided to divide the best award of film, actor and actress to two categories: drama and musical/ comedy, so every category would be better appreciated.
11. In 1952, HFPA presented Cecil B. DeMille Award. This award is awarded as the honor to them who have contributed for film development. The first receiver of this award was Cecil DeMille himself.
12. In 1955, Golden Globe started to appreciate the achievement in television, beside film. The first awards for Best Television Show that year went to “Dinah Shore,” “Lucy & Desi,” “The American Comedy” and “Davy Crockett.”
13. In 2007, Golden Globe started to appreciate “Best Animated Feature Film” and the first nominations are “Cars,” “Happy Feet” and “Monster House.”
14. Today, Golden Globe has acknowledged the achievements of 25 categories; 14 for film and 11 for television.
15. Dick Clark Production has handled Golden Globe ceremonies since 1983.