5. Source Code: A thriller in the vein of Inception, but with an end of the world twist. A person must travel back in time to prevent a bomb from exploding in a movie that has some tension, but is also somewhat dull at times and has too happy of an ending.
4. Insidious: This film about hauntings and spirits is sometimes chilling, particularly when something surprises the viewer out of nowhere. A solid atmosphere and story is held back by truly sub-par acting.
3. Super 8: This movie about an alien that tries to make its escape back home is really actually focused upon the relationships of children. As such, it is a movie of wonder and escapism that adds a few science fiction elements.
2. Hanna: This thriller was the first movie I saw from 2011 and still has an impact to this day. The interesting fugitive like nature is complemented by a back story involving abnormality in the female protagonist.
1. X-Men: First Class: This is easily the best film I’ve seen thus far in 2011. Backed by a mature mood, the pacing and suspenseful atmosphere of the movie elevates it above any other superhero movie I’ve seen. This was a very pleasant surprise.