If you haven’t heard of Harry Potter, you better crawl out from under that rock because this fantasy seven part series has been booming in the cinematic world! The series started off as books, and were soon transformed into movies. The films have accumulated over 6 billion USD and with the final movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two released recently, it’s expected to reach 7 billion USD by the end of summer. The opening weekend alone has accumulated slightly over 180 million, swiftly breaking records for the largest weekend revenue.
The last movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One left the viewers heart-broken after the death of Dobby, everyone’s beloved house elf. Part two carries on their adventure where they find the remaining Horcruxes in order to destroy Voldemort.
As many fans watch this anticipated movie, they come to the realization that the popular series has come to an end. Fans all over the world watched the characters grow up and reach the end of their journey, from first arriving at Hogwarts, to an epic battle between Harry and “he who shall not be named.” It has been confirmed that this will is the last and final Harry Potter movie, but J.K. Rowling, the author of the series, hinted at a possible eight book that may revolve around Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) or his family.
Whether an eighth book will be written or not, the series has been a success. Props to J.K. Rowling for creating a series that captured such a large audience. The series has upon brought tears, laughs and smiles. The final film has gotten millions to wonder… will Rowling continue the journey of Hogwarts?
10 Interesting Facts
1. Harry Potter books have sold over 400 million copies and been translated into 67 languages by 2008
2. A photo of Gandalf Grey from the famous Lord of the Rings can be seen in the collection of great wizards in Dumbledore’s study in Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets
3. Dumbledore was homosexual and had a crush on his close ally Gellert Grindelwald who he eventually killed in a duel in 1945.
4. During J.K Rowling’s depression, it helped her create “dementors” for the series
5. JK was the first billionaire author
6. During 2007, JK was a runner up for Time Magazine
7. The death of JK’s mother from MS took part in the shaping of the series
8. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle was 37 years old and therefore is the oldest person to ever partake a Hogwarts student.
9. Rowling discovered sinister names from a book called ‘Culpeper’s Complete Herbal’ which was published in the 1600s.
10. Harry Potter and the deathly hallows sold 11 million copies on its first day breaking JK’s previous record.